Metered parking, which was in effect from June 1 – October 31, 2020, will be free beginning on Sunday, November 1.
Off-Season Metered Parking is expected to be in effect from November 1st through April 30th, 2021. There is no fee for parking at meters during this time but a 3-hour limit remains in effect until 6 pm daily.
Newport Police Department and their Parking Division do continue to monitor streets and do enforce the parking code of ordinances throughout the “off-season”
Of note, parking on any city street or in any city lot for more than 24 hours is prohibited.
Due to COVID-19, the 2020 parking season began one month
Public Parking Lots
The City Of Newport operates 5 public parking lots during a typical season (May through October); the Gateway Parking Lot, Mary Street Parking Lot, Easton’s Beach Lot, Long Wharf Lot and Touro Street Parking Lot.
Many of these lots, especially Mary Street in downtown Newport, are open to the public and allow free parking during the offseason.
The Residential Parking Program restricts curbside parking on designated residential streets from May 1st to October 1st of each year to holders of Resident Parking Permits, visitor passes or temporary permits.
More From What’s Up Newp
- The Reef officially opens with a fresh, new look; new menu; and a new director of culinary development
- Plant City X opening a location in Warwick
- Grey Sail Brewing announces summer line-up of food trucks, vendors, and musical guests
- 'Ocean View' on Bellevue Avenue hits the market for $18.85 million
- South Kingstown voters reject school bond