Keith Hamilton, 51, a member of the Portsmouth Town Council since 2008 is the lone Republican running for Portsmouth Council this year.
WhatsUpNewp has asked each of the candidates throughout Newport County to their positions, and their vision, all helping voters to make important election day decisions.
If you are a candidate for office and have not received a form, or have misplaced it, please contact email@example.com.
Besides the candidate’s form, WhatsUpNewp is also hosting videocasts with each of the candidates. Visit 2020 Election on our website for a schedule of upcoming videocasts.
Here are Hamilton’s answers to our questions:
- Current office: Portsmouth Town Council, first elected in 2008.
- Political Party Affiliation in 2020: Republican
- Previous elective political positions sought, year and outcomes: Portsmouth Town Council 2008,2010,2012,2014,2016,2018 – Elected each year
As an incumbent, what are you most proud of:
Calm rational leadership. Understanding and executing of the budget and helping to set up the current roads program that is repaving our roads. Also help to negotiate the MOU with RIDEM to bring an end to 25+ years of fighting over sewers in Town. Lead the purchase of Mount Hope Park.
If elected my three top goals are:
- Maintain low increases in budget while providing needed improvements.
- Work with School Department to develop a sensible plan to remodel our schools for the next 30 years.
- Work with our State and Federal officials to replace our Senior Center.
Employment and Education
- Technical Sales Engineer, Controls Corporation of America (CONCOA)
Schools and degrees:
- Portsmouth High School, 1987
- University of Rhode Island, BA Psychology.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Get Lost! “Six Picks” Corn Mazes in Newport County and Beyond
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Concert Recap and Photos: Alice Cooper and Ace Frehley at Leader Bank Pavilion (September 21, 2021)
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates