The Department of Environmental Management (DEM) today confirmed that a 14-year-old boy who was fishing with his father and brother drowned yesterday after slipping on the rocks and falling into the water at Beavertail State Park in Jamestown. The victim is Daniel Carrascoza of Providence.
The boy’s father and two Good Samaritans went into the water and retrieved him. They started CPR until the Jamestown Fire Department EMS responded at around 6:25 PM. Jamestown’s emergency personnel transported the boy to Newport Hospital where he was pronounced dead after arrival.
DEM says that they recognize how shocking and devastating the death of a child is and offers condolences to the Carrascuza family for the unbearable loss of their son.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13