This obituary originally appeared on Memorial Funeral Home.
Jonia Goncalves, 92, of Raynham, MA, and formerly of Newport, RI, passed away on December 28, 2019, at home with her family by her side.
Jonia was born December 9, 1927, in Newport, RI to Lena(Fernandes)Avelino.
Jonia was married to the late Jose Goncalves for 40 years.
Jonia is survived by her son, Rick Goncalves of Raynham, MA and her grandchildren, Madison and Zachary Goncalves.
Calling hours will be held on Monday, January 6, 2020, from 9-10 am in St. Ann Church, 660 N. Main Street in Raynham, MA.
A Mass of Christian burial will be immediately following calling hours at 10:00 am in the church.
Burial will be in St. Columba Cemetery Brown’s Lane in Middletown, RI
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Get Lost! “Six Picks” Corn Mazes in Newport County and Beyond
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Concert Recap and Photos: Alice Cooper and Ace Frehley at Leader Bank Pavilion (September 21, 2021)
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates