This story was written by Jeanette Steele, U.S. Naval War College Public Affairs and originally appeared here.
The U.S. Naval War College will hold the fourth year of a lecture series that aims to share the college’s academic topics with the spouses and partners of students and staff.
The Issues in National Security series features the college’s world-class scholars lecturing on areas of their expertise. Ten talks will be held between now and May on select Tuesday evenings from 4:30 to 5:45 p.m. in Pringle Auditorium.
The first event – a discussion of iconic naval strategist Alfred Thayer Mahan by professor John Maurer – will be Jan. 14.
“This year features five returning lecturers and five new subjects, including leadership, Arctic affairs, Mahan, Lincoln, and women in national security,” said series coordinator John E. Jackson, the college’s E.A. Sperry Chair of Unmanned and Robotic Systems.
“This series was created in recognition of the fact that the spouses of our students are just as intelligent, curious and engaged in world affairs as our full-time students,” Jackson said.
Participants who attend at least 70% – or seven of this year’s 10 lectures – are presented with a certificate of completion. More than 250 such certificates have been issued over the past three years, Jackson said.
The lectures are open to most members of the Newport military community, including retirees and active-duty and reserve personnel in addition to the spouses and significant others of Naval War College students. RSVPs are not required.
The full list of lectures:
- Jan. 14 – Alfred Thayer Mahan with John Maurer
- Jan. 28 – Teaching Leadership to Senior Navy Leaders with Olenda Johnson
- Feb. 11 – Robots That Swim, Fly and Crawl with John Jackson
- Feb. 25 – Lincoln and His Admirals with Craig Symonds
- March 17 – U.S. Naval Power in the Pacific with Jim Holmes
- March 31 – National Security: The Inclusion of Women and the Importance of Mentorship with Joan Johnson-Freese and David Smith
- April 7 – The Arctic Ocean Region and American Power with Walter Berbrick
- April 14 – The North Korea Problem: Solve or Manage? with Terry Roehrig
- May 12 — Humanitarian Assistance/Disaster Response with Dave Polatty
- May 19 – Feral Cities with Rick Norton