The office of Secretary of State Nellie M. Gorbea announced today in a email newsletter, that Secretary Gorbea will convene over 100 elections and IT officials for a Cybersecurity Summit on Friday, October 25, 2019, at Salve Regina University’s Pell Center in Newport.
The five-hour forum will give Rhode Island elections officials an opportunity to hear from national and statewide cybersecurity experts on several topics, including:
- Current best practices on the state and local level to secure election systems ahead of 2020
- Combating misinformation and disinformation campaigns
- Common causes of data breaches and way to prevent them
- Actions being taken on the federal level to protect elections
“Protecting the integrity of every vote requires teamwork at all levels,” said Secretary Gorbea in the newsletter. “We have incredible expertise and resources available from state and federal organizations. My office will continue creating spaces for learning and providing resources that ensure everyone involved in elections is empowered with the latest information to be vigilant against cyberattacks.”
The Cybersecurity Summit will be held at the Pell Center at Salve Regina University from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
The summit will feature talks from members of the Department of Homeland Security, the Rhode Island National Guard, the Rhode Island State Police, the Rhode Island Board of Elections, the Elections Infrastructure Information Sharing and Analysis Center (EI-ISAC), the Cyber Leadership and Public Research Initiatives teams at Salve Regina, and a video message from Rhode Island Congressman Jim Langevin.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits