Women’s Resource Center (WRC), a nonprofit domestic violence intervention and prevention services agency with offices in Newport and Warren, R.I., is seeks team members and sponsors for the agency’s participation in the 2019 Citizen’s Bank Pell Bridge happening on Sunday, October 20, 2019.
“October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month, so it’s fitting that this event helps us to create more awareness for our advocacy and preventive services,” states Women’s Resource Center Acting Executive Director Jessica Walsh in a press release. “Sponsorship of our team will support our ability to do what we do best: empower victims and survivors of domestic violence on their personal journeys toward safety and well-being.”
Domestic violence is a public health issue that affects women, men, teens, children and families throughout Rhode Island and the country. According to statistics collected by the Women’s Resource Center, 1 in 4 Rhode Islanders will experience domestic violence in their lifetime and 1 in 10 Rhode Island high school students report that they have already experienced physical dating violence.
The funds raised from the WRC’s participation in the Pell Bridge Run will help victims obtain temporary restraining orders against perpetrators, advocate for domestic violence victims rights, accompany victims to court, find shelter for victims and their children, provide counseling for children and adults, train police to deal with domestic violence incidents, and provide support services through WRC’s Family Violence Advocacy Program.
“Whether someone walks or runs over the bridge with us as a team member, or simply sponsors this initiative with funds, they are supporting our important and compassionate work,” continues Ms. Walsh in a press release. “They are also supporting those affected by domestic violence. It’s comforting to know where to turn for resources and to seek out help. We are, in fact, the victims’ bridge to getting out of their domestic violence situation.”
Sponsorship levels range from $50 for a company name to $200 for a 4” logo on the back of the WRC team t-shirt. Runners and walkers can register as an individual to join Team WRC and help to fundraise as part of the campaign by sharing their fundraising page with family and friends.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals