Fireworks have become tremendously popular over the last several years for those hosting weddings and special events in and around Newport. So popular and regular that Newport City Council is looking to change the application process to allow for more time to consider the displays and applications.
With that in mind, this “live blog” or “live list” is a place to keep up with what firework displays have been proposed and those that have been confirmed.
If you dislike fireworks or have a pet that hates fireworks, hopefully, the following information will be of assistance in preparing you for the displays.
Scheduled & Approved 2019 Firework Displays
This list will include all public and private displays (including weddings and special events).
All fireworks displays must go in front of Newport City Council for approval, so we’ll be sure to keep an eye on any other applications that come down, and will keep this list updated throughout the remainder of the year.
This story will be updated with more information and firework displays as necessary.
September 19th – Fireworks Display, State Legislative Leaders Foundation, d/b/a National Speakers Conference, barge off of Rosecliff; September 19, 2019 for a 20-25-minute display beginning at 9:30 p.m. Application filed, City Council will consider on September 11th.
September 21st – Fireworks Display, Ben Howarth, d/b/a Howarth Wedding, barge off of Belle Mer; September 21, 2019 for a six-minute display beginning at 8:15 p.m. Application filed, City Council will consider on September 11th
October 3rd: Audrain Automobile Museum has applied to have a 15-minute fireworks display on October 3rd during their Councours Entrant Dinner. The fireworks display will take place at 7:15 pm (rain date would be October 5th) and will be shot off from a barge off of Ochre Court. City Council approved the application on August 14th.
October 12th – Fireworks Display, Shawn Lyons, d/b/a Lyons Wedding, barge off of Belle Mer; October 12, 2019 for a six-minute display beginning at 8:45 p.m. Application filed, City Council will consider on September 11th
All firework displays are obviously dependent on the weather and subject to change.
- Saturday, June 22nd – Fireworks Display for a wedding will be shot off of a barge off of Belle Mer at 9:45 pm. It will be a approximate 6 minute display. Approved by Newport City Council on June 12th.
- Friday, June 28th – Rhode Island Turnpike & Bridge Authority will host a Pell Bridge 50th Celebration Event that includes a fireworks display. The thirty-minute display is expected to begin at 9:15 pm. Rain date is June 30th.
- Jamestown’s Fourth of July Fireworks will take place on July 1st. Easily viewable from most of the Newport waterfront.
- Tuesday, July 2nd – The City of Newport will be changing up things in 2019 and hosting their Annual Fourth of July Fireworks Display on July 2nd instead of July 4th. The fireworks will be shot off from Fort Adams State Park, are expected to begin around 9:15 pm, and are expected to last fifteen to twenty minutes. There is no rain date.
- Bristol will shoot off their annual fireworks at 9:30 pm on July 3rd.
- Portsmouth will shoot off their annual fireworks around 9:30 pm on July 4th from Escobar’s Farm.
- Portsmouth will also host fireworks on Sunday, July 7th at 9:15 pm in Island Park
- Friday, August 16th: An application was approved on August 14th by City Council for a private fireworks display for a wedding at Belle Mer. The barge for the fireworks will be off of Belle Mer and will be a six minute display beginning at 9:15 pm.
Saturday, August 17th: A private fireworks event at Hammersmith Farm. The 14-minute display will take place from 9:45 pm – 9:59 pm (approved by Newport City Council on July 10th) .
Wednesday, August 21st: Bank Newport’s 200th Anniversary Celebration. The 18 minute display will take place between 9 pm – 9:30 pm (approved by Newport City Council on July 10th) .
Saturday, August 24th: The Navy Base hosts their annual Salute To Summer celebration at the end of August, this event does include fireworks. Details are still to be announced, but fireworks begin at 9:15 pm.
Monday, August 26th: Middletown’s Summer Concert Series at Sachuest Beach (AKA Second Beach) will include live music from The Ravers and will conclude with fireworks. Rain date August 27th.