What’s Up Newp is powered by our loyal advertisers and by the generosity of our amazing supporters/members. If you appreciate what we do, please consider supporting us with a monthly, yearly, or one-time contribution today!
The Newport City Council will host their next Regular Council Meeting on Wednesday, September 11th, here’s what’s on their agenda;
CITY OF NEWPORT
DOCKET FOR THE COUNCIL MEETING
SEPTEMBER 11, 2019
THE MEETING WILL BE HELD IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBERS,
CITY HALL, 43 BROADWAY, NEWPORT, RI
The following items of business, filed with the City Clerk under the Rules of the Council, will come before the Council at its regular meeting to be held on
September 11, 2019 at 6:30 p.m.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG
~Proclamation for “Moving Wall Day for Vietnam Veterans”~
CITIZENS’ FORUM: (Speakers must sign in with the City Clerk) The Citizens’ Forum period shall be no longer than fifteen minutes, and citizens may addressthe Council on one subject only and for no longer than three minutes. Issues to be discussed shall not include matters to be considered or discussed as part of the regular Council agenda and must be related to substantive city business. No comments regarding personnel or job performance are allowed.
1. CONSENT CALENDAR.
(THE CONSENT CALENDAR IS APPROVED IN ITS ENTIRETY UNLESS THE COUNCIL REMOVES AN ITEM FOR DISCUSSION. ALL LICENSES ARE GRANTED SUBJECT TO COMPLIANCE WITH ORDINANCES #31-80 AND #98-40.)
a. Special Events:
2) Fireworks Display, Ben Howarth, d/b/a Howarth Wedding, barge off of Belle Mer; September 21, 2019 for a six-minute display beginning at 8:15 p.m.
3) Fireworks Display, Shawn Lyons, d/b/a Lyons Wedding, barge off of Belle Mer; October 12, 2019 for a six-minute display beginning at 8:45 p.m.
4) Newport Elks Lodge, d/b/a Outdoor Movie, Elk’s Lodge, 141 Pelham St., September 28, 2019 from 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
5) The Landing Restaurant, d/b/a Landing Seafood Fest, 30 Bowen’s Wharf; October 19-20, 2019 from 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
6) A Wish Come True, d/b/a 2020 New Years Day Plunge, Easton’s Beach; January 1, 2019 from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
b. Holiday Selling License, New, Becca Rose Natural Body Care, LLC, d/b/a Becca Rose, 491 Thames St.
c. Banner License Application, Audrain Auto Museum to hang a banner September 16, 2019 through October 2, 2019 between The Red Parrot and Midtown Oyster Bar advertising Concours and Motor Week
d. Communication from Stoel Rives, LLP on behalf of Princess Cruise Lines, Ltd. and Holland America Line N.V., re: Requesting permission to serve alcoholic beverages aboard the Regal Princess, Sapphire Princess, Caribbean Princess and ms Zuiderdam while anchored in Newport Harbor in conjunction with their State Class G Marine Vessel Beverage Licenses for the 2019 season (Approve)
e. Communication from Edward D. Pare, Jr., Esq., Brown Rudnick LLP, re: Small Cell Facilities, Newport, Rhode Island- New Cingular Wireless PCS, LLC, d/b/a AT & T (“AT&T”) (Shepard Avenue) (Receive and refer to city administration for a recommendation)
f. Communication from Edward D. Pare, Jr., Esq., Brown Rudnick LLP, re: Small Cell Facilities, Newport, Rhode Island- New Cingular Wireless PCS, LLC, d/b/a AT & T (“AT&T”) (JT Connell Highway and Admiral Kalbfus Rd.) (Receive and refer to city administration for a recommendation)
LICENSES & PERMITS
a. 1899, LLC, d/b/a La Forge Casino Restaurant, 186 Bellevue Ave.
3. Application for Mobile Food Establishment Carts (MFEC) (6 available):
a. Viking Hot Dog, LLC, d/b/a Viking Hot Dog, One Courthouse Sq.
b. Wally’s Hot Dog Cart, LLC, d/b/a Wally’s Hot Dog Cart, 252 Oliphant Lane, Middletown, RI
4. Application of NPG Hospitality, LLC, d/b/a Gurney’s Newport Resort & Marina, 1 Goat Island, to expand its Class B outdoor entertainment license to include the South Lawn adjacent to the pavillion from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday preceding a Monday holiday and 11:00 p.m. Sunday through Thursday (Hearing)
5. APPOINTMENTS TO BOARDS & COMMISSIONS
Note: Vacancies currently or soon will exist on the following Boards and Commissions:
Affirmative Action Commission, Beach Commission, and Hospitality CommissionRESOLUTIONS
7. Innovation District – J. McLaughlin, S. Taylor
8. Transportation Master Plan- S. Taylor
– Communication from Turner C. Scott, Esq., re: Retail Beverage Licenses Class B-Tavern
10. Amending Chapter 5.70 of the Codified Ordinances, entitled, “Special Events”, to add a new Section 5.70.080 entitled, “Restrictions on fireworks displays” (First Reading)
COMMUNICATIONS AND PETITIONS
12. Communication from Colleen Burns Jermain, Ed.D., Superintendent of Schools, re: Newport Public Schools RIDE Stage 1 Application- (w/ accompanying resolution) A copy is available on file in the City Clerk’s Office
COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE CITY MANAGER
14. Action Item #5879/19 – RE: Pavement Management System Professional Services Contract #17-075 – Supplemental Agreement #1 (w/accompanying resolution)
ADJOURN AS COUNCIL AND CONVENE AS BOARD OF LICENSE COMMISSIONERS
BOARD OF LICENSE COMMISSIONERS
LICENSES AND PERMITS
a. Oliver Hazard Perry Rhode Island, d/b/a Newport Brokerage Boat Show; September 12-14, 2019 from 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and September 15, 2019 from 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
b. Seamen’s Church Institute, d/b/a Landing Seafood Fest, 30 Bowen’s Wharf; October 19-20, 2019 from 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Laura C. Swistak
September 4, 2019
As has been past practice, the Council will meet at 6:20 p.m. to discuss docket items. This pre-meeting will be held in the Second Floor Conference Room. The public is invited to attend. The docket, along with all supporting documents, can be viewed on the City of Newport website: www.cityofnewport.com – “Council Agendas and Minutes.” Council Meetings can be viewed on Cox Cable, Channel 18; check local listings for dates and times.
Newport City Hall is accessible and meets ADA requirements. INDIVIDUALS REQUIRING AN INTERPRETER OR OTHER ACCOMMODATIONS MUST NOTIFY THE CITY CLERK’S OFFICE (845-5351) OR CITY MANAGER’S OFFICE (845-5429) ONE WEEK IN ADVANCE OF THE MEETING.