via City of Newport news
The U.S. Department of Justice provides funding for grants to assist state and local law enforcement agencies in their efforts to prevent or reduce crime and violence. These funds are made available to local law enforcement agencies through the Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Grant (JAG) Formula Program: Local Solicitation. The Newport Police Department has participated in the Direct JAG Program in the past, and has been allocated $14,631 in the 2019 solicitation.
The Newport Police Department outfits its officers with Electronic Restraint Devices (Tasers). This less than lethal equipment has been a successful tool when deployed in the field in violent situations. The Taser technology that the department is currently using is three generations old. The manufacturer does not recommend the use of any Taser that is over 5 years old as the electronic components and hardware has an increased chance of failure. The department is now in the process of implementing a program to replace the current equipment with the new X 2 Taser. This will ensure that the department has properly working equipment and reduce the risk of injury to our officers and to the general public.
The department has also begun a program to outfit its officers with Body Worn Cameras. The X 2 Taser integrates with the BWCs. The camera is automatically activated when the Taser is deployed. The department plans to use the funds from this grant to purchase eight X 2 Taser packages and deploy this equipment with front line officers and supervisors.
All public comments and questions should be directed to:
Newport Police Department
Newport, RI 02840
Attn: Lieutenant Corey Huck
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Get Lost! “Six Picks” Corn Mazes in Newport County and Beyond
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Concert Recap and Photos: Alice Cooper and Ace Frehley at Leader Bank Pavilion (September 21, 2021)
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates