The Newport Historical Society is pleased to congratulate Elizabeth Sulock, Curator of Living History, for being named one of Providence Business News’ “40 Under Forty” in 2019.
The Providence Business News celebrates the 40 people under forty years of age that are doing exemplary work in Rhode Island every year. “…Accomplishment can come in waves, but mostly it comes when people with talent apply themselves with their hearts fully engaged in the enterprise at hand. …. when you see (the winners of “40 Under Forty”), you should keep in mind that their personal best bodes well for them, as well as for Rhode Island.” – Mark S. Murphy, Editor, Providence Business News.
Sulock was chosen for her work in living history at the Newport Historical Society. For ten years she has created and designed immersive costumed interpretation at the NHS’s properties, as well as collaborating with the Rhode Island Historical Society and the Redwood Library & Athenaeum to generate and execute large scale reenactments and other events for the public. With other staff, she conceived of the idea of “History Space,” which seeks to support the field of public history through education and demonstration. This work produces high-quality living history programs and events, including reenactments, traditional trade and craft demonstrations, and workshops. Seminars assist practitioners of public history and inform the public about topics and issues in the field.
Sulock, and the rest of the class of 40 “Under Forty 2019,” were celebrated at an event at the Aldrich Mansion on Thursday, July 18, 2019.
More from What’s Up Newp
- Opinion – Rep. Carson: High stakes of appropriate coastal management
- Edward King House to serve as a new drop-off site for Meals on Wheels
- Newport resident named new VP & Branch Sales Manager at BankNewport’s North Kingstown branch
- Ticket Giveaway: S.G. Goodman Saturday, Oct. 30th at the Newport Casino
- Nor’easter Update: National Grid responding to power outages
- Update: All restrictions lifted on Newport Pell and Jamestown Verrazzano Bridges
- Got storm photos? Send us your pics by 9PM Wednesday
- Obituary: Molly Falconer de Ramel
- Grey Sail Brewing celebrating 10 years
- LIVE BLOG | Rhode Island cancellations, closures, and delays