In recognition of the 50th anniversary of the completion of the Newport Pell Bridge, the Rhode Island Turnpike & Bridge Authority (RITBA) will be hosting a public and free celebration at Fort Adams State Park on June 28th, 2019.
Construction on the bridge began on April 5, 1966, and it was officially opened to traffic on June 28, 1969. This free, family-friendly event will take place exactly fifty years to the day of the opening of the bridge.
The event, scheduled for 6 pm to 10 pm, will include live music from Take It To The Bridge, games for families, food trucks, and fireworks at approximately 9:15 pm. Admission and parking are free, food can be purchased from the food trucks.
Sunday, June 30th will serve as a rain date for this event.
During this year-long 50th Anniversary Celebration, RITBA is also hosting a jubilee dinner, a bridge re-dedication ceremony, a 1969 Antique Car Show/Bridge crossing, and a “Top of The Tower Experience”.
Historical Exhibits are also on display at the Jamestown Historical Society and the Newport Historical Society’s Brick Market, which showcases images of the bridge under construction and provides a history of its planning and construction and at the Jamestown Historical Society.
RITBA says that no bridge toll dollars or gas tax revenue will be used to fund any of the celebration costs. Funding for the activities will be raised by private donations and the jubilee dinner, according to RITBA.
To aid in planning and fundraising, RITBA has established an official 50th Anniversary Celebration Committee. Evan Smith, President & CEO at Discover Newport is serving as Committee Chairman.
For more info, visit http://www.ritba.org/newport-pell-bridge-50th-anniversary-celebration .
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools