Representative Lauren Carson and Senator Dawn Euer invite the public to join them in celebration of trees and their essential role in Rhode Island’s ecology, Thursday, May 9, at 3 p.m. in the State Room on the second floor of the State House.
“An early provider of shelter, medicine and tools, trees remain an integral resource to modern life. Trees contribute to their environment by providing oxygen, improving air quality, helping with water conservation and soil preservation, and supporting wildlife and biodiversity,” said Representative Carson (D-Dist. 75, Newport) in a press release today.
Said Senator Euer (D-Dist. 13, Newport, Jamestown) in the release, “Rhode Island’s trees and woodlands are key contributors to mitigating climate change. Trees are a natural resource that fundamentally enhance the ecological, social, and economic value of our communities.”
The Arbor Day Foundation recognizes 12 of the 39 cities and towns in Rhode Island — including Newport and Jamestown — as “Tree Cities” due to their commitment to tree care and urban forestry.
Senator Euer and Representative Carson are hosting the event in celebration of Arbor Day as a way to foster public conversation regarding trees and their stake in our communities. They will discuss ongoing legislative efforts to protect woodlands, including the Woodland Stewardship and Preservation Act, which recognizes and protects Rhode Island’s woodland habitats.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)