Bowen’s Wharf has made the following announcement regarding the upcoming 4th Annual Bowen’s Wharf Oyster Festival.
The sun is out, flowers are blooming, and the countdown to Newport Oyster Festival begins! Join us the weekend of May 17 with fresh oysters, bubbly champagne, and great company under the festival tents. Come sail away to New Zealand, without ever leaving Bowen’s Wharf! From across the seas, Cloudy Bay Vineyards will be making a splash at the 2019 Oyster Festival by bringing their signature wines for us to enjoy. Fresh oysters are brought in daily from all over Rhode Island.
We kick off the summer on Friday, May 17 with the Opening Night Benefit Party. It’s the first party of the season and features a sparkly night of oysters, champagne, and live music on the waterfront while guests mingle with the growers. Sip a complimentary Moët Mini while you savor locally grown farm-fresh Rhode Island oysters, catered dinner, and open bar.
Tickets are $125 which include all-you-can-eat, freshly-shucked, local oysters and an open bar with signature Oyster Festival cocktails, wine & beer! Chelley Knight & the Daybreaks will entertain us with popular jazz standards. Purchase soon — this VIP event is limited to only 200 guests and ticket sales close May 17 at 5pm. Proceeds benefit The Nature Conservancy of RI, Ocean State Aquaculture Association and Oliver Hazard Perry, RI’s official flagship.
For more information on growers, restaurants that carry RI oysters please visit www.rioystertrail.com
Saturday & Sunday
The weekend features six live bands, multiple waterfront bars, featuring Whalers beer & creative cocktails with Belvedere Vodka and Ardbeg Whisky and Cloudy Bay Vineyards paired with local cuisine under the festival tents.
Be sure to purchase your tickets for Saturday or Sunday — or both — in advance! Online tickets are $27 each day, which include 6 fresh RI oysters and a beverage. Vouchers for additional oysters will be sold on site for $2/oyster and can be purchased by cash or credit.
Tickets at the door are $15 but do not include oyster or beverage tickets. Children 12 and under are free!
Not a fan of oysters? The Wharf Pub, Matunuck Oyster Bar, and others will have chefs’ best picks (appetizer sizes) available to purchase and they include non-seafood items too! Popular Bowen’s Wharf eateries like Sprinkles Ice Cream, Anchor Toffee, and The Cookie Jar are joined by Sweet B’s Donuts to sweeten the event.
Meet and mingle with these Growers and others on-site:
- Jamestown Oyster Co.
- American Mussell Harvesters
- Matunuck Oyster Farm
- Watch Hill Oysters
- Salt Pond Oyster Co.
- Behan Family Farm
- East Beach Oyster Farm
- 401 Oyster Co.
- Walrus & Carpenter Oysters
Start your Sunday morning with Bloody Mary’s (Belvedere Vodka and a bit of wonderful, warming whisky from Ardbeg). The morning melts into the afternoon Shucking Contest where a cold Whalers brew will go down nice.
Enjoy non-stop live music all weekend!
- Chris Vaillancourt Collective (Funk & Rock) — 11-1pm
- The Teledynes (Surf Rock) — 1-3pm
- Chelley, Bill, & Dyl (Soulful R&B, Rock w/ a touch of country)— 3-6pm
- Los Duderinos (Funk, Folk, Jazz, & Rock) — 11-1pm
- Cee Cee & the Riders (West Coast & Chicago Blues) — 1-3pm
- The Copacetics (Reggae & Ska) 3-5pm
Bowen’s Wharf Marina Special
Spend the night at Bowen’s Wharf during the Oyster Festival! Book your slip at Bowen’s Wharf Marina by May 15 and receive two free tickets for Saturday or Sunday to the Oyster Festival!
Deep water dockage at the anchor of the Newport waterfront. First-class service, accommodate yachts up to 185’ LOA.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts