Legendary American singer-songwriter and guitarist James Taylor will be the featured entertainment at the 22nd Annual IYRS Summer Gala on Saturday, July 6th, 2019.
The Summer Gala is the biggest and most important fundraiser of the year for IYRS School of Technology & Trades, a private nonprofit school . The Gala reportedly raises about 40% of their annual operating costs, which helps to underwrite the accredited training programs and funding everything from tools and technology to scholarships and instructor salaries.
The IYRS Summer Gala will once again take place under a large tent in the IYRS parking lot on Lower Thames Street and is scheduled to being at 6 pm. The evening will include a cocktail hour, silent auction, seated dinner, live auction, reverse auction in support of scholarships, a live performance by James Taylor, and dancing.
James Taylor follows in the most recent footsteps of KC & The Sunshine Band (2018), Kool & The Gang (2017), Jackson Browne (2016), The Beach Boys (2015), Lyle Lovett (2014) and Jimmy Buffett (2013).
James Taylor is no stranger to Newport, he performed at the Newport Folk Festival in 1969 and in 2015 he treated the crowd at Newport Folk Festival with a surprise performance to finish that set, which was cut short in ’69 because of man landing on the moon.
A few years ago, when Taylor wanted to write his first studio album of original material in 13 years, Before This World, he came to Newport and went into isolation in a waterfront apartment.
Tickets range from $500 for a supporter ticket to $50,000 for a Title Level Sponsorship.
The 22nd Annual IYRS Summer Gala is co-chaired by Charlie and Posy Dana, Dooie and Geer Isdale. The Honorary Chair is Anne Hamilton.
For more information, visit www.iyrsgala.com.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13