George Anthony Mendonsa, age 95 passed away February 17, 2019 in Newport, RI, two days before his 96th Birthday. George was born in Newport on February 19, 1923 to the late Arsen and Maria Mendonsa. He was one of six children.
After High School George, November 1942, enlisted in the United States Navy. After bootcamp he was assigned to the USS The Sullivans in the Pacific during WWII as a Quarter Master First Class. He always spoke of the honor and privilege to serve on that ship. He kept the friendships he made with shipmates throughout his life. George is known for being the confirmed sailor in the famous “Kissing Sailor” photo from World War II.
In 1945, while on leave, Dad met the love of his life, Rita Mendonsa. They were married in October 1946. They spent a wonderful life together for 72 years. George was a very devoted husband and father. His family was the world to him and was very proud of his family. George was bigger than life and will always be remembered for his kindness and generosity.
After leaving the service, George became a commercial fisherman (like his father). He was an owner in Tallman & Mack Fish Company for over 50 years. His passion for fishing and the sea had him working until he was 82.
George leaves behind his wife Rita, his children, Ronald Mendonsa and his wife Kathleen, his daughter Sharon Molleur and her husband Bob; three grandchildren, Richard (Jocelyn), Ronnie (Jennifer) and Randy (Shannon) and four great-grandchildren – Tyler, Logan, Jordan and Avery. He also leaves behind his sister, Hilda Todd and many nieces and nephews. George was predeceased by his sister, Mary, brothers’ Arsen, Manny and Able.
The family would like to thank the administrators and staff at the Village House Nursing Facility for their wonderful kindness, support and care.
Visiting hours will be held Thursday, February 21, from 3-6 pm at the O’Neill-Hayes Funeral Home, 465 Spring Street, Newport, RI. A Mass of Christian burial will be held Friday, February 22 at St. Mary’s Church, Newport at 10:00 am. Burial will follow at St. Columba Cemetery, 465 Brown’s Lane, Middletown.
In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Rhode Island Veteran’s Home, 480 Metacom Ave, Bristol, RI 02809.
This obituary originally appeared on O’Neill Hayes Funeral Home, it has been republished with permission. See the original obituary here – https://oneillhayes.com/tribute/details/1264/George-Mendonsa/obituary.html#content-start
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits