Shirley R. McGoff of Middletown, RI and formerly of Manchester, NH passed away peacefully on Saturday, January 12, 2019 at Grand Islander Nursing Home.
She was born in Portland, Maine in 1920, a daughter of the late John and Daisy Young.
She was the sister to her adored older brother Bailey, her brother John and her sister Pearl who all preceded her passing. She leaves behind her loving son Barry of Middletown, sister Daisy Arnos of Marco Island, Florida.
Shirley spent many years living in Manchester, NH working at Grenier AFB before moving to Boston employed by NASA as an executive secretary. She fell in love with Boston, especially the shopping, and often volunteering at local soup kitchens and shelters. She moved to Middletown in 1996 after an early retirement. She was an animal lover and was adored by her neighbors for her kindness, caring, and generosity. Shirley had loving and dear friends especially her late daughter-in-law Stephanie and friends Kara, Bonnie, Carol, Amanda, and Larry, her fellow coffee lover.
Visiting hours and Celebration of Life will be held on Friday, January 25, 2019 from 4-6 pm at the O’Neill-Hayes Funeral Home, 465 Spring Street, Newport, RI. Burial will be private.
In lieu of flowers, Shirley asks that donations be made to the ASPCA, by visiting www.aspca.org/donate.
This obituary originally appeared on O’Neill-Hayes Funeral Home, it has been republished with permission. See the full obituary here – https://oneillhayes.com/tribute/details/1247/Shirley-McGoff/obituary.html#content-start
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island on Wednesday
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits
- Pell Bridge to transition to all-electronic tolling on October 27
- The Reef set to host inaugural Savor Newport Wine and Food Fest
- RI Hospitality Association’s 18th Annual Economic Outlook Breakfast predicts continued recovery in 2022
- Obituary: Peter J. O’Connell
- Concert Recap and Photos: George Thorogood at Indian Ranch (September 19, 2021)
- Obituary: Arthur Bennett Shattuck