In response to the Aquidneck Island gas supply disruption, National Grid is announcing the opening of a customer information center at Gurney’s Newport Resort, 1 Goat Island, Newport, RI 02840. The center will be open as of 12:00PM on Tuesday, January 22, 2019.
Customers affected by the gas service interruption are encouraged to visit the information center to obtain the most up-to-date information on the restoration efforts and resources being offered by National Grid, the State of Rhode Island, and the Red Cross.
National Grid has also set up a website at https://www.nationalgridus.com/Aquidneck-Island which will provide updates on the restoration efforts, answer key questions customers may have, a list of potential hotels in the region, alternative heating options, and information needed for the claims process.
The interruption in service is due to a transmission supply issue from our natural gas supplier – Algonguin Gas Transmission Co., which is owned by Enbridge Inc. National Grid does not know the length of the interruption at this time but it is likely to be a multi-day restoration effort.
National Grid expects to deploy upwards of 1,000 gas workers and support personnel to assist in the restoration effort on Aquidneck Island.
Out of an abundance of caution, gas service was suspended to roughly 6,400 customers in Newport and 340 customers in Middletown. The restoration process will be a multi-day event. Service technicians will be required to visit every customer property to turn off their meter. Those technicians will then need return to re-establish service once the system has been safely and reliably restored. National Grid will continue to provide updates throughout the restoration.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year
- Home on Chastellux Avenue in Newport sells for $7.1 million