(Photo by Larry Hart Bettencourt)
New Year’s Day is almost here and area “polar bears” are preparing to make their annual plunge into the frigid waters off Easton’s Beach. While taking a dip in near-freezing water might not necessarily benefit your health, this is certainly a party with a purpose and worth doing. Do we have your attention?
Allow us to talk you into why you should join them.
1. All The “Cool” Kids Are Doing It
Literally hundreds of locals and tourists return year after year, since 1969, to take part in this annual event to support A Wish Come True. Chances are you can find a co-worker, neighbor, or friend has participated or is planning on participating.
2. Wash Away Your Troubles Of 2018
Do we need to say more? The time is now to stop dwelling on our troubles and/or misfortunes. It’s time to put 2018 behind us.
3. Start Off 2019 Feeling Fresh & New
Despite possibly being hung over from New Year’s Eve, can you think of a more refreshing way to start the 1st of the year? Fresh and clean is the way to be!
4. You’ll Be Freezin’ For A Reason
If we haven’t talked you into jumping in yet, here’s the kicker. The Plunge benefit’s A Wish Come True, a staff member from their organization will be walking around with buckets asking for donations, there’s no admittance fee for participating but we encourage you to give what you can.
5. The After Party
Consider heading across the street to Rusty’s, Tickets or Diego’s Bodega Cantina following the crowd, we’re sure someone will create a party somewhere.
After doing it, you’ll either say that it was the stupidest thing that you’ve done in your life or you will be hooked and will be back there every New Year’s Day. The plunge will take place at 12 p.m. The event is open to spectators who are not taking the plunge.
More Info: 2019 Polar Bear Plunge On Facebook
The Latest From WUN
- Obituary: Elizabeth Marion (Matter) Chambers
- Best-selling author Ann Hood hosts ‘The Writing Life’ public talk at Salve Regina on Oct. 30
- Brown University to significantly expand financial aid and college access
- What’s Up This Week: Hocus Pocus, Tour de Fright, Halloween festivities, and much more
- Bowzer’s Rock ‘N’ Doo-Wop Party 20th Anniversary coming to Mohegan Sun Jan. 16