Providence, RI – Rep. Marvin L. Abney (D-Dist. 73, Newport, Middletown), Chairman of the House Committee on Finance, was honored by the Rhode Island Hospital Association (HARI) with the 2018 Francis R. Dietz Award for Public Service. The award was presented to Chairman Abney at the HARI Annual Meeting on November 16 at the Providence Marriott.
Chairman Abney was presented the award due to his commitment in the budget process to restore funding for hospitals in the state.
“This is a tremendous honor to be recognized by HARI and I thank them for this award. Our state’s hospitals are a crucial asset to the well-being of every Rhode Islander and we must always ensure that our hospitals are operating at a level where quality care and affordability are available to everyone in the state. I look forward to continue working with HARI to guarantee that our hospitals are healthy and operating at a high-level to service the residents of Rhode Island,” said Representative Abney.
“It is the mission of the HARI to assist member hospitals in effectively meeting the healthcare needs of Rhode Island through advocacy, representation, education and services. HARI is grateful for the continued leadership of Representative Marvin Abney, Chairman of the House Committee on Finance, to ensure that our member perspectives and needs are heard objectively and addressed in a manner that supports improved community health and the sustainability of our healthcare system,” said Teresa Paiva Weed, President, Hospital Association of Rhode Island.
The Francis R. Dietz Award for Public Service honors and recognizes persons who have shown leadership on issues confronting hospitals within the association.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13