Newport, RI – The results are in (unofficially) and there are some changes coming to our local government in The-City-By-The-Sea.
According to the City’s Canvassing Department, 45 percent of eligible voters in Newport cast ballots in today’s election, up significantly from the 2014 midterm election, when turnout hovered around 33 percent. In all, 7,048 votes were cast at the polls on Tuesday by Newport voters.
Angela McCalla, with her defeat over James Dring, will replace Susan Taylor as Ward 1 Councilor.
Lynn Underwood Ceglie has survived a Primary and General Election to keep her Ward 2 seat on the City Council. Ceglie has also previously served as Vice-Chair
Kate Leonard had no opposition and will continue to serve as Ward 3 councilor for another two years.
|Jamie P. Bova||
|Susan D. Taylor||
|Justin S. McLaughlin||
|Richard Wick Rudd||
|Marco T. Camacho||
|Hugo J. DeAscentis||
|James A. Dring||
|Lynn Underwood Ceglie||
|Valerie A. Larkin||
|Kathryn E. Leonard||
|Aida G. Neary||
|Raymond E. Gomes||
|Kathleen M. Silvia||
|Louisa H. Boatwright||
|Sandra J. Flowers||
|Robert J. Leary||
|Karlie L. Cesarini||
|David R. Carlin, III||
|Kelly Anne Lohrum||
* Precincts with more than one ballot scanner may display as 100% reported despite results only being received from one scanner. Results will be updated when the results from any additional scanner(s) in that precinct are received.
In other local elections, Senator Dawn Euer has been re-elected to represent District 13, Representative Carson has been re-elected (uncontested race) to represent District 75, Representative Marvin Abney has been re-elected to represent District 73, and Senator DiPalma has been re-elected to represent District 12.
For full statewide results, visit https://www.ri.gov/election/results/2018/general_election/
The Latest From WUN
- City of Newport: A portion of the Cliff Walk will be closed on Monday for maintenance
- Newport String Quartet to perform Dvorak, Montgomery, and Tate at St Columba’s
- ‘Normandie’ estate on Ocean Drive sells for $12.5 million
- On the market for a new home? Check out these 29 open houses happening this weekend
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Popovic, Nelson, and a Legend