The Newport Car Museum unveiled its limited edition 2018 Ford GT to a large crowd on Saturday, August 4. Buyers of the $450,000 (MSRP) “supercar” are handpicked by the automaker. Auction prices of the cars at resale have been upward of $1 million. Only 1,000 are set to be built through 2020. (This is #109 of 138 built so far.)
The Museum recently added the Ford GT and 15 other new cars to make now 70+ cars in six galleries.
Visit The Newport Car Museum
To enjoy the full experience of the Newport Car Museum, visitors should allow from 90 minutes to a full afternoon or morning. That includes time to enjoy the collection’s six galleries (Ford/Shelby, Fin Cars, World Cars, Corvettes, Mopars, and the new “American Muscle: “Then & Now”); the specially commissioned videos and artwork in each; and free driving time on one of eight Playseat driving simulators powered by Forza Motorsport. The simulators have become a wildly popular “surprise ending” to the Newport Car Museum experience, allowing one to test his or her driving skills in just about any car imaginable on just about any road course in the world. The museum also has a collection of Mid-Century modern furniture interspersed throughout the 70,000 square feet of exhibit area and a large gift shop.
Tickets for the museum are $18 / adults, $15 / Seniors, Military, Students, and $8 / Ages 5-15 (with an adult). Children 4 and under are free with an adult.
Newport Car Museum is handicap accessible and hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday-Sunday. Address: 1947 West Main Rd. (Enter at Light), Portsmouth, R.I. 02871, 401-848-2277. www.newportcarmuseum.org .
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13