The Gulls (19—21) dropped its third in a row with a 5–1 loss to the New Bedford Bay Sox (17—24) on Friday night. Russell Smith took the loss for Newport giving up four runs on seven hits in five innings of work. Meanwhile on the other side Jared Shuster picked up the win for New Bedford in five innings of work allowing no runs on two hits.
The Bay Sox struck first with a solo shot by Justin Lamazares in the top of the second. They would go on to add three more runs off of an error and a Robert Emery single that scored two in the top of the third to extend their lead to 4–0. The Bay Sox would go on to add another run on a fielder’s choice in the top of the eighth.
There was life for the Gulls in the bottom of the ninth as Jack Blomgren scored on a single by Tim Tawa with two outs. However, it was too little too late for the Gulls as they drop their third in a row. Tawa would finish the night three-for-five with two doubles garnering three out of Newport’s four total hits.
The Gulls next game is on the road against the Valley Blue Sox (27 – 11) for an interdivisional matchup on Saturday night. Stevie Mangrum, Kody Hoese, Dalton Reed, Nic Enright, and Tim Tawa will all represent Newport in the 2018 New England Collegiate Baseball League All-Star Game on Sunday.
The Latest From WUN
- Weather Alert: High Wind Warning issued for the region – Storm arrives Tuesday
- Obituary: Elizabeth Marion (Matter) Chambers
- Best-selling author Ann Hood hosts ‘The Writing Life’ public talk at Salve Regina on Oct. 30
- Brown University to significantly expand financial aid and college access
- What’s Up This Week: Hocus Pocus, Tour de Fright, Halloween festivities, and much more