Looking for some family fun this summer? Interested in learning more about heritage breed livestock? Swiss Village Farm (SVF) Foundation has announced that they will the date of their 2018 Annual Visitors Day celebration.
SVF will open their doors on Saturday, June 16th from 9 am to 3 pm to allow the public to tour their grounds and to learn about endangered breeds and cryo-preservation.The only day of the year that SVF is open to the public, visitors are invited to take self-guided tours through the historic grounds and take a peek into their state-of-the-art facilities and meet the SVF laboratory, veterinary, and animal care staff.
The public is invited to enjoy a day packed with fascinating information and fun activities, all set on SVF’s breathtaking 35-acre property on Ocean Drive. Learn more about the Smithsonian & SVF Biodiversity Preservation Project. Peak into their facilities and meet their laboratory, veterinary and animal husbandry staff. Attend live cryogenics and sheep shearing demonstrations. Enjoy Julian’s Omnibus food truck serving local heritage breed burgers and munchies!
SVF Foundation preserves germplasm (semen and embryos) from rare and endangered breeds of food and fiber livestock. In collaboration with Tufts University’s Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, SVF elevates rare-breed conservation to a new level, through the cryopreservation of germplasm. Collecting 200 embryos and 3,000 straws of semen per breed, SVF will be able to reawaken a breed, with its full genetic diversity, within one generation. This library of frozen material is vital to the protection of the world’s food supply.
This event is free to the public. Parking will be available at Fort Adams State Park and free trolley transportation will be provided from 9am-3pm. There will be no parking available at SVF.
If you have never been to SVF, this video gives you a glimpse of what’s in store for the day;
SVF Foundation is located at 152 Harrison Avenue in Newport and online at www.svfoundation.org.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Motels Rock the Odeum (September 16, 2021)