The concluding weekend of the 5th Annual Newport Daffodil Days features two parades, one for humans, one for classic cars.
On Saturday, April 21, a “Sidewalk Parade” departs at 11 am from the Florence Gray Center and winds its way through Newport’s Northside neighborhood, stopping to enjoy decorated trees along the route and finishing in Miantonomi Park for a community picnic (featuring free daffy dogs, of course), a concert and a celebration of Hope. The parade and BBQ are a collaboration among the Newport Daffodil Days Festival, The Women’s Resource Center, Newport Health Equity Zone, Salve Regina University and the Newport Art Museum as a celebration of hope and community.
Also on Saturday, April 21, Decorate your bike, don your yellow jersey and join other daffy riders for the Annual Tour de Jonquilles Bike Ride, an easy 3-mile ride to view beds of daffodils throughout Newport, ending at Ballard Park where 18,000 daffodils are in bloom. A Free “Daffy Duck Call” to all those wearing their Daffy Pin!
On Sunday, April 22, head down to Easton’s Beach at 1:30 pm to view over 60 classic, daffy-decorated cars for the “Driving Miss Daffodil” exhibition and parade. The cavalcade of cars departs at 2 pm, cruising through Newport then out along historic Ocean Drive, before returning to the Audrain Automobile Museum on Bellevue Avenue at 3 pm.
This is another chance to view and stroll past beautifully restored classic cars at three adjacent locations on legendary Bellevue Avenue: The renowned Audrain Automobile Museum, next door at the Stop & Shop parking lot and, just to the south, the historic Bellevue House:
• The Audrain Automotive Museum: Champagne & cheese reception and museum tour (only $10 with your Daffy Pin)
• Bellevue Gardens Parking Lot at Memorial & Bellevue (FREE)
• Bellevue House, 304 Bellevue Avenue (FREE). Enter through the Bellevue House front parking lot where the winning cars will be on display then stroll through the magnificent Daffodil-adorned gardens while enjoying live music, a cash bar, and Dances Among the Daffodils performed by the RI Ballet Theater at 4:30 pm.
Viewing and participating in both parades and the Garden Party are free of charge.
For more information and for the full schedule, visit www.newportdaffydays.com.
The Latest From WUN
- The Beach Boys To play Mohegan Sun Arena on New Year’s Eve
- FirstWorks to present “Women Trailblazers in Music” in November
- Now Hiring: 77 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- National Sailing Hall Of Fame inducts Class of 2021
- Newport woman is first-ever female to win Citizens Pell Bridge Run