We welcome you to the first “Six Picks” of 2018. This week, we’ve got a now-legendary alt-country group and a bunch of cover bands, because cover bands know how to keep things warm and cozy in sub-zero weather! Check back throughout the weekend to make sure these shows are still on …
Old 97’s Friday
The Old 97’s are a kick-ass alt-country outfit that formed in Texas in the mid-90’s. They’ve been stirring up a storm ever since, especially on the recently released Graveyard Whistling featuring “Good with God,” co-written by Brandi Carlile. (Check out the video below.) We expect things to really heat up Friday at the Columbus Theatre. Tickets still available – Details here.
Badfish, a Rhode Island based tribute to the 90’s band Sublime, plays The Strand (formerly Lupo’s) Friday. In a feat you don’t often see, it’s probably fair to say that in this case, the cover band has become as popular as the original. Check out their live show – it’s a lot of fun. Roots of Creation and Z-Boys open at 8PM. Details here.
Christine Ohlman and Rebel Montez Saturday
If the artist in the picture looks familiar, … she is. You probably recognize Christine Ohlman as a longtime backup singer on Saturday Night Live. Well, this Saturday night, “The Beehive Queen” as she is known will be joined by Rebel Montez for a night of blue-eyed rock and soul at the Knickerbocker Music Center in Westerly. Details here.
Forever Young Sunday
Joining New York City and Nashville, Boston’s newest club for those with a sophisticated taste in music is City Winery, run by Michael Dorf who established the legendary Knitting Factory in NYC. Sunday night, RI’s favorite cover band, the award-winning Forever Young will be interpreting the songs of Neil Young. CSN interpreters Trinity open at 7PM. Details here.
Young Rust Saturday
Neil Young is so great he gets two local cover bands, and Young Rust will be banging out the hits Saturday night at The Met. The band, formed in late 2004, included Mike Gendron, Ryan Meehan, Kevin Ferschke, and John Winters. They’ll be playing Neil’s best Saturday night at The Met. Details here.
Billy Joel Experience Saturday
The Stadium Theatre in Woonsocket regularly brings in nationally touring cover bands and this weekend they’ve got the Billy Joel Experience. “SONGS IN THE ATTIC” is a musical tribute conceived and presented with a tremendous amount of detail and affection for the material by Long Island veteran singer/piano player David Clark. Details and videos of the band here.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Folk 2021 – The final day of “Folk On” (July 28)
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library