By now, we’ve all heard about the Equifax “cyber-security incident” that compromised the personal data of nearly 143 million U.S. consumers. The credit-reporting company indicated that Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses, credit card information and drivers license numbers were stolen from their system in July. According to Fleming Shi, a vulnerability expert and senior vice president at Barracuda Networks: “This breach is like a Category 5 hurricane in the cyber world, affecting at least one-third of the U.S. population.” Given that Social Security numbers do not change, those whose information was exposed will continue to be at risk for years to come.
Identity thieves impersonate their victims to steal from bank accounts, establish phony insurance policies, open unauthorized credit cards or obtain bank loans and mortgages. Victims are often left with lower credit scores and difficulty getting credit, obtaining loans and even finding employment. Recovering from identity theft is neither quick nor easy; the long, and often frustrating process may take years.
While we must remain vigilant to protect our own identity information (also see our cyber-safety features: 7 Safeguards Against Identity Theft and Beware What You Share), when a security breach occurs at any trusted keeper of our information, all bets are off. With cybercrime on the rise and increasing reports of large data stores being hacked, it seems not a matter of IF your personal information will be compromised but WHEN. Even though the train has left the station with our information held by Equifax, purchasing Identity Theft insurance now, can provide protection for the risk of years to come.
With one call to the theft protection hotline,
Nationwide Identity Theft Coverage Experts will:
- Quickly assess your situation to determine if fraud has occurred.
- Stop damage to your credit within minutes of your authorization by directly contacting major credit bureaus.
- Make all required phone calls to creditors, banks and agencies.
- Assist in replacing documents, including driver’s license, passport, Social Security card or other ID.
- Provide an emergency cash advance if the theft occurs while you’re away from home.
- Provide up to $25,000 in recovery for expense reimbursement with no deductible
Call us at 401-846-9629 for an Identity Theft Insurance quote today.
We’re always here to help!
The Latest From WUN
- What’s Up This Weekend: Heart & Sole Walk for Animals, Goat Hikes, Barks & Brews, and more
- Obituary: Gardiner Lee Sherman
- The Minks coming to Askew Thursday, October 21
- Irish immigrant women in domestic service topic of upcoming lecture
- Foiling Kiteboarder slashes 1 minute and 14 seconds off Around Jamestown Record