STATE HOUSE – Rep. Lauren H. Carson will moderate a public forum on economic development in Newport presented by the Alliance for a Livable Newport on Oct. 5.
The event is titled “The Working Future of Newport,” and will take place Thursday, Oct. 5, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Claiborne Pell Elementary School, 35 Dexter St., Newport.
The forum will examine what can be done to help ensure Newport citizens are prepared with 21st century job skills that allow them to take advantage of the new opportunities created by economic development planned in the city. It will be an opportunity to learn about The North Side Innovation Hub; Newport’s successful application for the “Working Cities” Grant; Career Tech Programs at Rogers High School and OneNewport outreach to the Newport community.
The event’s panel includes:
· Sarah Atkins, Newport Department of Civic Investment
· Kerry Clarke, Coordinator, Newport Area Career and Technical Center
· Robert Young, Director, Newport Area Career and Technical Center
· Colleen Burns Jermain, Superintendent, Newport Public Schools
· Joe Tomchak, Assistant Executive Director, Boys and Girls Club of Newport County
The audience will be invited to submit questions to be answered by the panelists after the presentation.
“We have many exciting developments in the works that will help propel Newport forward with prosperous and innovative new industries. I’m excited to be a part of this event to discuss the efforts under way to help Newporters position themselves to take advantage of all the opportunities that will be coming their way,” said Representative Carson (D-Dist. 75, Newport).
More From What’s Up Newp
- What Sold: 29 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (May 3 - 10)
- HGTV Dream Home in Portsmouth hits the market, can now be yours for $2.39 million
- Obituary: Timothy Howard Jackson
- List: States with travel restrictions upon entry to Rhode Island
- New York Yacht Club submits challenge and evolutionary draft protocol for 37th America's Cup