STATE HOUSE – Rep. Lauren H. Carson will moderate a public forum on economic development in Newport presented by the Alliance for a Livable Newport on Oct. 5.
The event is titled “The Working Future of Newport,” and will take place Thursday, Oct. 5, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Claiborne Pell Elementary School, 35 Dexter St., Newport.
The forum will examine what can be done to help ensure Newport citizens are prepared with 21st century job skills that allow them to take advantage of the new opportunities created by economic development planned in the city. It will be an opportunity to learn about The North Side Innovation Hub; Newport’s successful application for the “Working Cities” Grant; Career Tech Programs at Rogers High School and OneNewport outreach to the Newport community.
The event’s panel includes:
· Sarah Atkins, Newport Department of Civic Investment
· Kerry Clarke, Coordinator, Newport Area Career and Technical Center
· Robert Young, Director, Newport Area Career and Technical Center
· Colleen Burns Jermain, Superintendent, Newport Public Schools
· Joe Tomchak, Assistant Executive Director, Boys and Girls Club of Newport County
The audience will be invited to submit questions to be answered by the panelists after the presentation.
“We have many exciting developments in the works that will help propel Newport forward with prosperous and innovative new industries. I’m excited to be a part of this event to discuss the efforts under way to help Newporters position themselves to take advantage of all the opportunities that will be coming their way,” said Representative Carson (D-Dist. 75, Newport).
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport