Colonel Ann C. Assumpico, Superintendent of the Rhode Island State Police and Director of the Rhode Island Department of Public Safety, has announced that the State Police, with the assistance of the state Department of Environmental Management and Jamestown Police, are investigating the discovery of a body found washed ashore at Beavertail State Park in Jamestown about 12:50 p.m. today.
Visitors to the park had notified DEM. The Rhode Island State Police, Jamestown Police, Jamestown Fire and Rescue and officials from the Rhode Island Medical Examiner’s Office responded to the scene. They confirmed that the body is that of an unidentified male. The circumstances surrounding the man’s death are under investigation at this time.
The Medical Examiner’s Office will conduct an autopsy to determine the cause and manner of death.
The Latest From WUN
- City of Newport: A portion of the Cliff Walk will be closed on Monday for maintenance
- Newport String Quartet to perform Dvorak, Montgomery, and Tate at St Columba’s
- ‘Normandie’ estate on Ocean Drive sells for $12.5 million
- On the market for a new home? Check out these 29 open houses happening this weekend
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Popovic, Nelson, and a Legend