Colonel Ann C. Assumpico, Superintendent of the Rhode Island State Police and Director of the Rhode Island Department of Public Safety, has announced that the State Police, with the assistance of the state Department of Environmental Management and Jamestown Police, are investigating the discovery of a body found washed ashore at Beavertail State Park in Jamestown about 12:50 p.m. today.
Visitors to the park had notified DEM. The Rhode Island State Police, Jamestown Police, Jamestown Fire and Rescue and officials from the Rhode Island Medical Examiner’s Office responded to the scene. They confirmed that the body is that of an unidentified male. The circumstances surrounding the man’s death are under investigation at this time.
The Medical Examiner’s Office will conduct an autopsy to determine the cause and manner of death.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Folk 2021 – The final day of “Folk On” (July 28)
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library