Individuals who would love to work on the luxury superyachts that visit Newport each summer before taking off for warm-water ports come fall now have a free training program to give them the skills needed for entry-level jobs in the charter-yacht industry.
The Rhode Island Marine Trades Association (RIMTA), in partnership with Ship to Shore crew-placement agency of Newport, has launched a new four-week program that runs from May 30 to June 23. The program is free to Rhode Islanders who are over 18. Training takes place Monday to Friday, 8 am to 4 pm, in the Newport area. Participants will receive both classroom instruction and internship experience on board superyachts.
No boating experience is required to participate in the program, and this training is an excellent way for candidates to shift land-based experience to working on the water. Luxury yachts need individuals with skills in the areas of high-end hospitality, culinary, large engine maintenance, and deckhands.
Crews working on a luxury superyacht typically live onboard and travel with the yachts as they follow the sun—from New England to the Caribbean, the Mediterranean, and even the Pacific.
At the conclusion of the program, Sarah Baines of Ship to Shore will work with trainees to aid them in their job search. The last week of the program coincides with the Newport Charter Yacht Show (June 19-23). This four-day event is a mecca for luxury yachts and a prime place to meet captains and crews and view the fleet of superyachts working in New England for the season.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Folk 2021 – The final day of “Folk On” (July 28)
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library