The EFC Newport 2017 Year of Care program has completed two months of active “friend raising” and volunteering for the Newport County Young Life organization. Over the course of the past eight weeks volunteers completed a variety of service acts for this multicultural ministry that focuses on at-risk/pregnant high school-aged girls.
From the several “Bibs & Blankets” craft sessions and the Young Lives Club Spa night to the final “Friend Raiser” yard sale on April 29, much time and attention were dedicated to supporting and fundraising for the community of teen moms and their children from Newport County Young Life.
“To a community of teen moms and their children, who I believe Jesus would identify as ‘the least of these,’ this large group of volunteers gave time, energy and prayers,” said EFC Treasurer and Newport County Young Life Core Group Member, Bill Ferree.
Over 330 man hours of service were required to produce the 90+ baby bibs, 45+ fleece blankets and produce the 9 young mom makeovers at Spa Night. The yard sale raised $1200 for the young mothers and a final monetary donation from EFC Newport tops off the campaign with a fruitful ending.
The 2017 Year of Hope community outreach program teams EFC Newport with five local non-profit support agencies: the Aquidneck Island Christian Academy, Newport County Young Life, Looking Upwards, Lucy’s Hearth and the Newport Housing Hotline. The local Newport church endeavors to use this program as a “live demonstration of God’s love.”
EFC is a contemporary Christian church located at 70 Bliss Mine Road, Middletown, RI. For all are welcome. For more information visit www.efcnewport.com
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13