Portsmouth’s Aquidneck Island Christian Academy (AICA), the first participant in the EFC Newport 2017 Year of Care program, received a great deal of “TLC” during the February school vacation week.
Over the course of 8 days more than 100 volunteers contributed 400 hours to cleaning, painting, organizing, constructing and trash clearing at AICA. The only classical education Christian school in Rhode Island, the AICA has been leasing the East Main Road facility from the Town of Portsmouth since 2004.
“I was not prepared for the amount of work we were able to get done,” said AICA Headmaster Joshua White. “At the end of the project I was simply dumbfounded by how many volunteers sacrificed their time for our benefit. It was a wonderful experience.”
The 2017 Year of Care is a community outreach program launched by EFC Newport with the support of participating organizations and members of the community. The five local non-profit support agencies/organizations include: the Aquidneck Island Christian Academy, Newport County Young Life, Looking Upwards, Lucy’s Hearth and the Newport Housing Hotline. The EFC Newport congregation will work directly to support every group for an average of two months each during 2017, with the intent to foster deeper connections. Newport County Young Life will be the recipients of prayer, volunteer man and woman hours, as well as a financial donation in the month of April. Individuals and groups outside of the EFC congregation are welcome to join the effort.
EFC Newport is a contemporary Christian church located at 70 Bliss Mine Road, Middletown, RI. All are welcome. For more information visit www.efcnewport.com
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13