Newport Public Schools (Rogers High School and the Newport Area Career & Technical Center) has been selected as one of seven Fuse Architect Pilot sites to implement ambitious student-centered learning (SCL) pilots in selected high school classrooms.
The focus of this initiative supported by the Highlander Institute along with national and local partners is to catalyze and support a shift to a student-centered learning environment. Student-centered learning engages students in their own success – and incorporates their interests and skills into the learning process. Students support each other’s progress and celebrate success.
Through the work of Robert E. Young, Director of the Newport Area Career & Technical Center/P-TECH, Kimberly Behan, Ed.D., Assistant Superintendent of Teaching, Learning and Technology, and Rogers High School Teachers Raleigh Brennan, Brittany Coleman, Anthony Hanos and Emily Zilly, the group will work as part of a design project around integrating technology, mastery, and using data to support student design.
The Newport Fuse Group began their collaboration with design exercises at the Tech Collaborative in Providence in mid-March 2017. The RHS project will enable the high school to expand project-based learning. This eighteen-month grant will provide teacher support and professional development on personalized learning.
Information in this story was obtained via a press release from Newport Public Schools.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals