The 40th annual Newport Irish Heritage Month kicked off on Sunday with Dancing at the Forty Steps.
In addition to dancing and live Irish music, the AOH Men choral group provided some sing-a-long Irish songs.
This event not only officially begins Irish Heritage Month but also commemorates the many Irish who in the 19th and 20th centuries came to work and live in Newport, building Fort Adams, constructing and working at the mansions, and making Newport what it is today.
Irish Heritage Month is a celebration of all things Irish throughout the month of March with music, lectures, tours, food, and, of course, the 61st annual parade in honor of St. Patrick on Saturday, March 11. The complete, printable, Newport Irish Heritage calendar can be found at www.aohnewport.org.
Editor’s Note: The video does flip the right viewing location after a few minutes, we apologize for the short inconvenience.
The Latest From WUN
- Tom Rush joins What’s Up Newp for a live virtual video conversation
- Newport School Superintendent joins What’s Up Newp for a live virtual video conversation
- What Sold: 22 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (Oct. 18 – 22)
- Obituary: Dorothy Ann “Dotti” Garman
- Elvis Costello and the Imposters playing PPAC Thursday, October 28