Julia Loretta Plourde, 87, of Portsmouth died Saturday, February 11, 2017 at home in Portsmouth, surrounded by her loving family.
She was born on November 5, 1929 in Providence, RI, to the late Edward and Ethel (Hollis) McKenney.
She was married to John Michael Plourde for 32 years.
She attended St Michael’s School in Providence and graduated from Hope High School. She was a parishioner of St. Anthony’s Church. She was an expediter at Transcom. Julia was Director of the Bristol Day Care Center. She was a social activist for the Rhode Island Workers Union. She was part of a contingent that met with Senator John Chafee to establish Head Start in Rhode Island. She was instrumental in establishing the Bristol Youth Center at the Bristol Armory. She loved being a part of the Girl Scouts as a Troop Leader. Her most cherished times were cooking Sunday brunch for her family and celebrating birthdays and holidays with them.
She is survived by her husband John, her children, Judy Ann DeAquiar of Bradenton, FL, William Weber (Helena) of Warwick, Edward Weber (Arlene) of Bristol, Coleen McCarthy of Riverside, Kathleen MacElree and Ethel Bradley, both of Bristol, her stepchildren, David Plourde of East Falmouth, MA and Kristina Taglianetti of Fall River, MA, sixteen grandchildren, seventeen great grandchildren and many loving friends.
She was predeceased by her daughters, Victoria Pelletier and Michelle Weber, her brother, Edward McKenney and sisters, Arlene DeVine and Kathleen Cordeiro.
Calling hours will be held on Thursday, February 16, 2017, from 4-7 pm in the Connors Funeral Home, 55 West Main Road, Portsmouth, RI.
Her funeral will be held on Friday, February 17, 2017, at 9:00am from the funeral home with a Mass of Christian burial at 10am in St. Anthony’s Church, 2836 East Main Road, Portsmouth.
Burial will be in Trinity Cemetery 367 East Main Road in Portsmouth.
Memorial donations may be made in her name to Visiting Nurse Home Care and Hospice of Bristol and Newport Counties, 1184 East Main Road, Portsmouth, RI 02871, to Beacon Hospice, 1 Catamoe Blvd, East Providence, RI 02914 or to St. Anthony’s Church, 2836 East Main Road, Portsmouth, RI 02871.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals