Newport Storm Brewery and Empire Tea & Coffee recently collaborated to put their knowledge, talent and love for coffee and craft beer to good use; the result a new coffee stout called ‘High Test’.
“CJ Barone, owner of Empire Tea & Coffee, has always supported RI craft breweries and Newport Storm especially with the Newport Craft Beer Festival.” says, Brew Master, Derek Luke, “It was a no-brainer to collaborate with his local roaster, Kat, who was so passionate about helping us select the right coffee for our beer.”
The Brewers were on a mission to find the perfect coffee to offer this stout the best aromas and taste, starting off with four types of coffee and two different base beers. Locally roasted Guatemalan coffee passed the high test after narrowing down the coffee selection which also include Cosecha from Huehuetenango, Guatemala.
“This smooth like silk stout is a perfect afternoon or evening pick me up. It is filled with aromas of coffee and sweet chocolate. Locally roasted coffee adds subtle hints of caramel and nougat. Dark malts create depth with roasted flavors. Hops balance out the finish just like your favorite cup of joe. So hold the cream and sugar and enjoy this one straight up.”
- MALTS: Canada Munich Malt, Canada Pale Malt, Black Patent Malt, Chocolate Wheat, Roasted Barley, Flaked Barley
- HOPS: Magnum, Equinox
- OG: 17.7 plato FG: 3.8 plato SRM: 163 IBU: 53 ABV: 8%
High Test will be available by the 4-pack starting the week of February 20th. For more information on where you can track down this limited batch brew and all of Newport Storm’s beers go to NewportStorm.com.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year
- Home on Chastellux Avenue in Newport sells for $7.1 million