Nicholas J. Giordano, 95, died Wednesday, January 25, 2017 at Newport Hospital of complications due to pneumonia. Born and raised in New York City, he moved to Newport, RI eight years ago.
His life was ‘the American Dream.’ Growing up in the depression era, he put himself through school, served proudly in the United States Army during WWII and had an outstanding engineering career in broadcasting. He worked at CBS in NYC from the inception of television until he retired in the late 1980’s.
He was predeceased by his wife of 60 years, Ronnie Giordano and survived by his two daughters and their spouses, Paula and Michael Murray of Newport, RI and Jody Giordano and Charles Kaufman of New York. He is also survived by his companion of the last 5 years Nancy Gallagher of Newport, RI.
A Mass of Christian Burial celebrating his life will be held on Monday, January 30, 2017, at 10:00 a.m. at St. Mary’s Church, Spring St., Newport. Burial will be private. Visiting hours are respectfully omitted.
The family is grateful to the staff of Village House in Newport where he has lived for the past year. A special thanks to Newport Hospital and Hope Hospice & Palliative Care whose compassionate care and concern were outstanding and greatly appreciated.
In lieu of flowers donations may be made in Mr. Giordano’s memory to the St. Mary’s Church, P.O. Box 547, Newport, RI 02840.
The Latest From WUN
- Newport String Quartet to perform Dvorak, Montgomery, and Tate at St Columba’s
- ‘Normandie’ estate on Ocean Drive sells for $12.5 million
- On the market for a new home? Check out these 29 open houses happening this weekend
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Popovic, Nelson, and a Legend
- AARP Analysis: COVID-19 deaths and cases in Rhode Island nursing homes increased from August to September