Joyce M. (Brinton) Woolhouse, 80, of Middletown died Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at Newport Hospital surrounded by her family.
She was the wife of the late George W. “Ducky” Woolhouse.
Born on April 14, 1936, in Newport, RI, she was the daughter of the late Robert and Anne Brinton, Sr.
Sixty years ago, Joyce with her closest and dearest friends from Rogers High School started “CLUB”. They continued to meet once a month, to this day. She taught smocking classes at the Swinbourne School and had her own line of children’s clothing “Handmade by Joyce” that sold in local stores. She retired at the age of 80 after working 10 years for Dr. James Maher. But her family was first, nothing was more important than the time she spent with her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.
She is survived by her children, Scott D. Woolhouse Sr. and his wife Julie of Newport, RI, Patricia Johnson of Portsmouth, RI, Debra Woolhouse of Middletown, RI, Dolores Woolhouse of Newport, RI, her son-in-law Jesus Meabe of Middletown, RI, her sisters, Diane Brinton of KY, Linda Winthrop of Middletown, RI, and Barbara Lemler and her husband Jeff of Middletown, RI, her grandchildren, Robert Johnson and his wife Emily of Tiverton, RI, Tara Townley and her husband Owen of Bristol, UK, Lorea and Nikole Meabe of Middletown, RI, Scott Woolhouse Jr., Devin Woolhouse and Lucas Woolhouse of Newport, RI and Meaghan Woolhouse of Newport, RI, nine great grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews.
Calling hours will be held on Friday, January 20, 2017, from 4-8 at Memorial Funeral Home, 375 Broadway, Newport.
Her funeral will be held Saturday, January 21, 2017 at 10:00am at the First Presbyterian Church, Broadway and Everett, Newport, RI.
Burial will be in Middletown Cemetery, Wyatt and Turner Road, Middletown.
In lieu of flowers donations may be made in her memory to the Robert Potter League for Animals, PO Box 412, Newport, RI 02840 where her granddaughter Nikole is currently pursuing her dreams.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library
- Governor, RIDOH, Newport City officials, community partners to host canvassing effort on Wednesday to encourage vaccination