Jeremiah “Jay” Q Nippert, 40, of Newport passed away Wednesday, January 25, 2017 with his family by his side.
He was the husband of Regina M. LaChance.
Born on May 13, 1976 in Newport, RI, he was the son of Linda B. DeLisle of Iowa and the late Stephen H. Nippert.
Jay worked as a security officer for 10 years at Salve Regina University. For 6 of those years he also served as an EMT for the university. Jay loved his work and often referred to the students as “his kids”. A practical joker, he looked for any opportunity to make his co-workers laugh. He loved to make people laugh. No matter the situation, he could find a way to lighten the mood.
Jay was an avid fisherman and his favorite way to relax after work was to grab his fishing gear, enjoy the sunset, and throw some casts. He loved nature, whether it be on land or in the sea. He could identify any bird that flew by while he was relaxing on his deck or any sea creature that swam by while snorkeling. He always looked forward to his many trips to the White Mountains in NH where he could hike, fish, and just relax. He enjoyed gardening and would dutifully tend to his tomato and pepper plants every day during the summer.
Besides his wife of 8 years, and his mother, he is survived by his half-brother Jethro DeLisle of Iowa, half-sister Melinda DeLisle of Germany, and aunts Connie Walsh of Florida, Chris O’Connell of Middletown, and Catherine Morrison of New Jersey.
A memorial service will be held on Saturday, February 4, 2017 at 11:00am in Memorial Funeral Home, 375 Broadway, Newport.
Burial will be private.
In lieu of flowers, donations in his memory may be made to The Potter League for Animals, PO Box 412, Newport, RI 02840 or at www.potterleague.org
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13