The Alliance for Livable Newport (ALN) hosted a Community Forum and Information session on the upcoming improvements to the Newport Transportation and Visitors Center (Gateway Center) on Monday, November 28th in the lobby of the Transportation and Visitors Center on America’s Cup Avenue.
Representatives of the team leading the effort discussed the planned work, provide renderings of the upcoming project, and answered questions from the audience. The construction and restoration work will include improvements to parts of the Transportation and Visitors Center damaged by Hurricane Sandy, as well as the installation of Green Infrastructure to assist in storm water runoff management.
Lillian Picchione, Director of Capital Development of the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA), led the presentation. RIPTA is the state agency working with the City of Newport on this project. Picchione was joined by colleagues from RIPTA who have worked with Newport City officials on the plan; representatives of the Newport City Council; and Evan Smith, President and CEO of Discover Newport and the Newport Transportation and Visitors Center. Representatives from W.E. Marchetti Consulting, LLC (consultants on the project) and Newport’s Northeast Collaborative Architects (architects who worked on the project), were also available to answer questions from the audience.
RIPTA and the City of Newport release the latest design drafts for the project that will repair and improve the storm resiliency of the Newport Gateway Visitors Information and Transportation Center – one of RIPTA’s major transit hubs and a regional visitors’ center.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts