The 16 newly elected members of the Rhode Island General Assembly — an incoming class that includes 12 in the House of Representatives and 4 in the Senate — will participate in an all-day orientation session on Tuesday, Nov. 29, at the State House.
The Biennial Legislative Orientation Session will begin at 9:15 a.m. and run until 2:30 p.m. It will include welcomes and addresses from Speaker of the House Nicholas A. Mattiello and President of the Senate M. Teresa Paiva Weed. Also meeting with their new members will be House Majority Leader K. Joseph Shekarchi, Senate Majority Leader Dominick J. Ruggerio, House Minority Leader Patricia L. Morgan and Senate Minority Leader Dennis L. Algiere.
The orientation program will include introductions of the directors of various legislative offices, including the House and Senate chiefs of staff, and a budget process presentation by the House and Senate fiscal office advisors. Other discussion sessions during the day will focus on the legislative process, legislative duties and communications, and the legislators-elect will also have an opportunity for training on the legislative web site and computer system.
Expected to attend the day’s events are the following newly-elected legislators, who will be sworn into office on the first day of the 2016 General Assembly session, Tuesday, January 3:
· Representative-elect Moira J. Walsh (D-Dist. 3, Providence).
· Representative-elect Marcia Ranglin-Vassell (D-Dist. 5, Providence).
· Representative-elect Ramon Perez (D-Dist. 13, Providence, Johnston).
· Representative-elect Camille Vella-Wilkinson (D-Dist. 21, Warwick).
· Representative-elect Evan Shanley (D-Dist. 24, Warwick).
· Representative-elect Julie Casimiro (D-Dist. 31, North Kingstown, Exeter).
· Representative-elect Robert Quattrocchi (R-Dist. 41, Scituate, Cranston).
· Representative-elect Alex Marszalkowski (D-Dist. 52, Cumberland).
· Representative-elect Helder Cunha (D-Dist. 64, East Providence).
· Representative-elect Jason Knight (D-Dist. 67, Barrington, Warren).
· Representative-elect Susan Donovan (D-Dist. 69, Bristol, Portsmouth).
· Representative-elect Kenneth J. Mendonça (R-Dist. 72, Portsmouth, Middletown).
· Senator-elect Ana B. Quezada (D-Dist. 2, Providence).
· Senator-elect James A. Seveney (D-Dist. 11, Portsmouth, Bristol, Tiverton).
· Senator-elect Thomas J. Paolino (R-Dist. 17, Lincoln, North Providence, North Smithfield)
· Senator-elect Jeanine Calkin (D-Dist. 30, Warwick).
Source: State of Rhode Island General Assembly