The Whitehorse Tavern hosts some more interesting patrons than you’ll find anywhere else: ghosts, spirits and shades, according to Fodor’s Travel.
This is at least the second year in a row that Newport’s oldest restaurant has landed on the list by Fodor’s.
“The oldest bar in the United States, of course, has some ghost stories to tell. The Whitehorse Tavern was opened in the Rhode Island Colony in 1673, making it the oldest bar in the country (though it had other roles, like a boarding house in the early twentieth century, and British military quarters during the Revolutionary War). Walking alone in the building feels a bit creepy, especially when one knows at any time they might see one of the spirits wandering around. One of the ghosts is an elderly gentleman who died while renting a room upstairs in the early years of the Whitehorse. He was never identified, but has certainly been seen by a number of people. Another is a small girl, often heard crying on the second level near the restrooms,” the site says about The Whitehorse Tavern.
Joining The White Horse Tavern on the list is Lafitte’s Blacksmith Shop (New Orleans, LA), Pioneer Saloon (Goodsprings, NV), Ear Inn (New York City, NY), The Menger Bar (San Antonio, TX), Simon’s Tavern (Chicago, IL), Bridge Cafe (New York City, NY), The Tavern (Austin, TX), Tiger’s Tap Room (Tucson, AZ) and Arnaud’s (New Orleans, LA).
Read the full story – 10 Most Haunted Bars in America
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13