Representative Lauren H. Carson (D – District 75, Newport) will hold a constituent meeting next week focusing on the seven ballot questions being posed to Rhode Island voters on Election Day.
The meeting is scheduled Tuesday, Oct. 25, at 6:30 p.m. at the Newport Public Library, 300 Spring St. All District 75 residents are welcome.
Joining Representative Carson will be John Marion, executive director of Common Cause Rhode Island; Meg Kerr of the Audubon Society of Rhode Island; and Patti Doyle of Twin River. There will also be a demonstration of the new voting machines in use this year. The topics of the ballot questions include the state constitutional amendment on ethics, approval of the Tiverton gaming proposal, and bond referendums to fund completion of the state Veterans’ Home, green economy investments, port infrastructure, higher education facilities and affordable housing. The election is Nov. 8.
“My constituent meetings are the cornerstone of my connection with Newport and my work at the State House. This one will be particularly useful to voters, because ballot questions are often a source of many questions, and this is an opportunity to get some information on them and discuss them,” said Representative Carson.
She encouraged voters to also check out the voter information handbook mailed out by the Secretary of State’s office earlier this month for basic information about the ballot questions. It is available on the Secretary of State’s website, which also has other useful resources such as sample ballots, voter registration information, polling place locations and more.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island on Wednesday
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits
- Pell Bridge to transition to all-electronic tolling on October 27
- The Reef set to host inaugural Savor Newport Wine and Food Fest
- RI Hospitality Association’s 18th Annual Economic Outlook Breakfast predicts continued recovery in 2022
- Obituary: Peter J. O’Connell
- Concert Recap and Photos: George Thorogood at Indian Ranch (September 19, 2021)
- Obituary: Arthur Bennett Shattuck