Billy Bush, Donald Trump, Sexism and St. Georges School in Middletown, R.I. – these are all topics in a recent story written on Reel Girl by Margot Magowan.
“Billy Bush and I went to the same boarding school in Newport, Rhode Island (St. Georges in Middletown, RI). When I heard the Billy Bush/ Donald Trump tape I wanted to scream because it was like everything I learned in high school, the objectification of women and girls, the metamorphosis of teenager from San Francisco into a “toy” bunny plaything was being reinforced by a would-be president of the United States of America. I felt ill and the nausea hasn’t left me since,” Magowan shares in At Billy Bush’s prep school, girls referred to as ‘toys’.
Magowan goes on to write about an annual event at St. George’s called Casino Night and sexism at the school.
This comes in reaction to the recent investigation into sexual abuse at St. George’s that concluded dozens of students had been sexually assaulted since the 1970’s and the recently leaked 2005 Access Hollywood audio where Bush and Donald Trump make lewd and sexually aggressive remarks about women.
Bush, the nephew of former President George H.W. Bush, graduated from St. George’s in 1990.
Read The Full Story – At Billy Bush’s prep school, girls referred to as ‘toys’
Margot Magowan is a writer and commentator. Her articles on politics and culture have been in Salon, Glamour, the San Jose Mercury News, and numerous other newspapers and online sites. She has appeared on “Good Morning America,” CNN, Fox News, and other TV and radio programs. For many years, Margot worked as talk radio producer creating top-rated programs. In 1998, Margot co-founded the Woodhull Institute an organization that trains young women to be leaders and change agents. Margot’s short story “Light Me Up” is featured in the anthology Sugar In My Bowl (Ecco 2011) and she is currently writing a Middle Grade novel about the fairyworld. Margot lives with her husband and their three daughters in San Francisco.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13