Caves, Castles and Cuisine of France’s Dordogne Region
The Alliance Française of Newport will present a program about the Dordogne Region of France on Sunday, October 23, 2016 at 2 p.m. at The Portsmouth Free Public Library located at 2658 East Main Rd., Portsmouth, RI.
Joan Fletcher, longtime member of The Alliance Française of Newport, will discuss the pre-historic caves and cave art of the region, as well as the region’s castles and cuisine. The event is free and is open to the public.
Joan Fletcher is a former elementary and middle school teacher, who taught a variety of subjects, including French. She learned French as a child and has traveled to France numerous times, beginning in the 1960’s. She and her husband, Don, discovered the Dordogne region of France in 1995 and fell in love with the area. They returned to the area in 2002 and have visited almost annually since then. Although they have also traveled widely in other areas of France, this is still their favorite area. Joan, an enthusiastic Francophile, is delighted to be able to share this beautiful area of France with the community.
The Alliance Française of Newport, which has been part of an international organization for over 60 years, is dedicated to the study of the French language and to promoting cultural exchange. Members of the AFN participate in conversation groups, cultural events such as the French Film Festival, art gallery and museum events as well as lectures about French history and culture.
For further information, please contact, Mary-Gail Smith, AFN President, by phone at 401-601-5515 or by email at email@example.com.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso