With the return of fair weather, and a patriotic opening concert by the Navy Band Northeast, the New England Challenge this Saturday, Sept. 10 is shaping up to be one of the best polo matches to enjoy for a late summer reprise at the NBC10 Newport International Polo Series, presented by your Rhode Island BMW Centers.
“With regional teams at peak performance, and field conditions superb, we are tuning up for a competitive match with New England’s best players this Saturday,” explained Dan Keating, Newport team captain and founder of the Polo Series. “We have been lucky with great weather, ensuring this next match to be another highlight of our 25th Anniversary Season”.
Established in 1974, the Navy Band Northeast is based on board Naval Station Newport and is one of the 11 official United States Navy bands worldwide, and serves the military and civilian communities throughout the Northeastern United States. Under the direction of Lieutenant Gregory Fritz, this group of 35 professional Navy musicians supports more than 300 engagements annually throughout an 11-state area throughout the Northeast United States.
The Navy Band will play marches and patriotic music from 3:30, concluding with the National Anthem. Gates open at noonfor additional pre-match entertainment hosted by Cox, with opportunities to practice your polo swing from life-size wooden horses from the penalty shot position, as well as wine tasting and Dog Park privileges at the polo grounds. Specialty vendors and gourmet food trucks offer concessions and amenities in the Vendor Village. A $150 gift certificate to one of Newport’strendiest new downtown restaurants will be awarded by Cox in the weekly door prize drawing, and the winner of the Best Tailgate Contest will receive the prized Tailgate Picnic Trunk ensemble from Stella Artois. After 6 periods, called chukkers, the match will conclude with the Veuve Clicquot Champagne Toast & Trophy Presentation by representatives from Clarke Cooke House, as well as an autograph signing and cocktail hour to mingle with the players.
September matches begin at 4pm, with seating & beverage service at the centerfield Pavilion starting at 2pm (by advanced reservation for $20/person), and noon access to Lawn Seating ($12/adult in advance or at the gate) for early arrival and picnicking in the bucolic setting at the International Polo Grounds, Glen Farm, 250 Linden Lane, Portsmouth. Witness the exciting polo action -Tickets and full details for the 25th Anniversary Season Schedule are available at www.nptpolo.com.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport String Project Season Opening Concert
- This day in Newport History: September 19, 1902 – Jimmy Van Alen born in Newport
- Concert Recap and Photos: Felix Cavaliere’s Rascals at the Greenwich Odeum (September 18, 2021)
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour