Three children and at least five police officers were hospitalized after a fire broke out inside a home at 566 East Main Road in Middletown just after midnight on Monday.
Chief Deputy John Dean of the State Fire Marshal’s Office tells WJAR that “Middletown police officers arrived first and rescued two children from the first floor of the home. The officers were not able to make it to the second floor because of heavy smoke, but when Middletown firefighters arrived they found a third child with serious injuries.”
Middletown police have told ABC 6 and WJAR that the victims, two girls and one boy are siblings and range in age from 17 to 7-years-old. Police added that the children’s parents were not at the home when the fire broke out.
UPDATE: Middletown Police Department has confirmed that the 7-year-old boy who was pulled from this house fire has died at Hasbro Hospital. The 7-year-old boy has been identified as Ramon Arroyo, his 16-year-old sister Cheyanne Arroyo was treated and released from Newport Hospital and his 14-year-old sister Leilaney Arroyo is being treated at Hasbro hospital.
At least five Middletown police officers were taken to Newport Hospital for smoke inhalation, they have all been released.
The State Fire Marshal’s office is investigating at this time.
Turn To 10 – Children hospitalized after Middletown fire
More From What’s Up Newp
- Obituary: Claire E. (Randall) Curtis
- Obituary: Marianne F. (Fitzgerald) Marley
- Forum Lodge awards scholarships to two Aquidneck Island high school graduates
- Robert Berry, rock musician and former member of Keith Emerson’s “3” joins What’s Up Newp for a live virtual conversation on Monday
- Sax greats Abate and Moretti release new albums in 2021
- Easton’s Beach reopens for swimming
- Obituary: Anna Maria DeSousa
- Obituary: Manuel G. Moitoza, III
- What’s Up at the Movies: We Review “In the Heights”
- The Gamm Theatre Announces Auditions for Season 37 (2021-2022)
- Brian C. Jones: In case of emergency, don’t call me
- RIDOH and DEM are advising people to avoid contact with Almy Pond due to a blue-green algae
- Record Store Day returns Saturday, June 12th
- Newport Polo will host its annual Newport Cup on Saturday
- DEM hosting virtual workshop on draft water quality restoration study for Newport water supply reservoirs