Just days before Newport City Council is expected to make a decision on whether or not to accept the 2016 Port Security Grant Program (PSGP) Award for the procurement of a new CRBNE Fire/Rescue Boat (Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear and Explosive), a community nearby is reporting that 2016 has been the worst year they’ve had for boat fires, distress alarms and accidents on the water.
Kirsten Glavin for ABC 6 reports that the North Kingstown Fire Department has responded to 7 boat fires and 72 distress alarms already in 2016.
Portsmouth, Providence and North Kingstown are currently the only first responders on Narragansett Bay that have a boat with firefighting capabilities.
Newport City Council is expected to vote on the resolution to accept the grant at their regularly scheduled meeting on Wednesday, August 24th.
- August 16th – Video: Fire Boat Discussion at City Hall on Tuesday Night
- August 11th – Podcast: Chat with Congressman David Cicilline, Audio From Newport City Council’s Discussion on Fire Boat
- August 10th – Newport City Council Decides to Delay Vote on New Fire/Rescue Boat
- August 10th – Newport City Council Provided With Some Answers to Questions Regarding Controversial Fire Boat
- August 9th – Letter To The Editor: Politics Trumps Questions – Approval of Fire Boat Expected
- August 8th – Podcast: Made In Newport, Fire Boat, Newport Gulls and More…
- August 7th – Editorial: Residents Right To Be Concerned About Purchase of New Fire Boat
- August 6th – Poll: Should The City Of Newport Acquire New $1 Million Fire and Rescue Boat?
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13