Friends of Ballard Park will wrap up its 11th Annual MOVIES ON THE ROCKS series on Wednesday, August 24th with a screening of Karate Kid.
Newport Martial Arts will provide a demonstration prior to the screening of Karate Kid. The demonstration will feature twelve students of all ranks – white through black belt – ranging in age from 5 to 20 who are working to learn focus, self-discipline and self-defense like Daniel-son. In Karate Kid, Ralph Macchio stars as Daniel a teenager who turns to karate after he is bullied at his new school. Rated, PG the film is 126 minutes in length.
The short “Mille-Pattes et Crapaud (Centipede and Toad)” by Anna Khmelevskaya will be shown prior to the movie and was provided by Flickers Rhode Island International Film Festival.
The series is co-sponsored by the Rhode Island State Senate, Rhode Island House of Representatives and Ken & Tia Scigulinsky.
Ballard Park’s quarry meadow will open at 6:30 pm for blankets and picnicking. The feature movie begins at dusk (8:00 pm). In the event of rain, movies will be shown on the following night. Like regular movie theaters, smoking is prohibited. MOVIES ON THE ROCKS is supported by BR Arnold Construction, Cox, Howard Johnson Inn, Kiki Finn, National Grid, Rhode Island International Film Festival, Rhode Island Office of Film & TV and St. Clare Newport.
Ballard Park is a nature preserve located at the corners of Hazard & Wickham Roads in Newport. Those interested in attending should wear sturdy shoes as there is rugged terrain and bring a flashlight to use when exiting the park. Parking is available along Hazard Road. Allow about fifteen minutes to park and make your way into the quarry meadow as the site for the movies is a considerable distance from the road. Trails are steep and uneven in places especially when accessing the park from Wickham Road.
Friends of Ballard Park is a nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting, maintaining and promoting Newport’s Only Nature Preserve. Cultural events and educational programming help to advance stewardship of the park and decrease negative park activities.
Visit www.ballardpark.org or call 619.3377 for more information.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13