On Tuesday, July 26th, Cardi Corporation began work on the decorative crosswalks on Broadway. Due to the nature of the work, the new traffic pattern was established making Broadway one-way northbound from Marlborough Street to Gould Street and Dr. Marcus F. Wheatland Boulevard one-way southbound from Equality Park Place to Marlborough Street.
During the City’s Weekly meeting on Thursday, it was determined that a request be made to the Contractor to complete the crosswalks as soon as possible. The Contractor has been able to accommodate the request and the crosswalks (at a cost incurred by the City), will be completed by the end of next week. As for the crosswalks between Marlborough Street and Farewell Street the contractor anticipates to complete this work as well, however the weather could cause a delay.
If possible on Monday or Tuesday the section between Marlborough Street and Farewell Street maybe closed to traffic during the day as well as at night to completed the two crosswalks in this section. Depending on weather this closure should take less than a week.
The city anticipates the remainder of the installation of the crosswalks will be completed by the end of next week (8/19), and the traffic will return to two way.
Due to the nature of some of the work included in installing the crosswalks, rain may affect the schedule.
The stone blocks for the Urban Bio Swale are in and the contractor will continue the work in the area at Marlborough Street and Broadway.
The Parking area in front of the Police Station and other small areas are also awaiting the delivery of additional colored bricks.
Most of the parking across from City Hall and at the Police Station are now available.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library
- Governor, RIDOH, Newport City officials, community partners to host canvassing effort on Wednesday to encourage vaccination